What’s the role?
We’re looking for outgoing, enthusiastic and passionate tour guides to join our small team in Edinburgh to provide day trips and occasional multi-day tours of Scotland. You will provide a connection to the best of Scotland, bringing our long history to life through storytelling, anecdotal information and by explaining quirks of personalities and events that have happened over the years.
Our clients are typically from North America. They’re well travelled and have a passion for knowledge that they gain from connecting with places and people. They expect a relaxed but high level of service and are typically friendly and down to earth.
No two days are ever the same and you are encouraged to tailor their tour to their interests.
What we do?
Experienced Tours offers a premium level of service with passionate tour guides. Our consistent and different approach to the experience has won us a constant 5-star award on Tripadvisor and we are very proud of that!
A typical day will include a visit to one or more castles (like Stirling), stops at viewpoints or points of interest, will typically include a lunch stop and include various Instagram-worthy photo opportunities along the way. You will be with the client for most of the day and it’s a great environment to really make a connection and get to know your guests.
What you should bring
- You’ll be outgoing, friendly and able to connect with guests
- You’ll have a great knowledge of Scotland’s past, present and future
- You’ll need to be an excellent driver, showing professionalism and patience behind the wheel
- You’ll be able to tell Scotland’s story without showing bias, especially relating to religion and politics
- You’ll be flexible in your approach, no two tours are ever the same!
- You’ll have excellent timekeeping and have a neat, professional appearance
What we’ll provide
- You’ll get full training which includes familiarisation trips on our most popular tours, relative to your experience
- We’ll provide a shared tour van (and all the associated kit & overheads like fuel)
- We’ll provide a relaxed uniform that includes a kilt
- You’ll get ongoing support and be part of a small team
Good to know
- You will be expected to provide an end-to-end service which includes guiding your clients through historic sites
- There will be a requirement for some weekend work and occasional overnights away
- 36 hour working week over 4 days
- Minimum age 25 (for insurance reasons)
- Non-smokers only please
- Previous guiding experience preferable but not necessary
What are the benefits
- Salary of up to £33k DOE, or
- £200 / day freelance rate DOE
- Contributory pension and a range of other individual benefits (employee)
- Annualised performance bonus
- Client tips that are yours to keep